Groups and subgroups

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #552 by Doctor_VVV
Groups and subgroups was created by Doctor_VVV
I have some ideas. Maybe you realised them in new version of the program. If not it can be implemented in the future.
Here they are:

1 - I have 15 different groups of students (each of them divides by three subgroups). I want to keep names of students from one group in one group (class).
On practical classes I work with each subgroup separately. It means that each subgroup from one group will have practical class in different days.
Is it possible to make different dates for each subgroup inside the group (class)?
If not I can make each subgroup as a class in the program, but in this case will be good feature to make folders in which we can group different subgroups or classes according to academic year?

If I will make each subgroup as a separate class, without grouping into folders, very soon my list will be so long that I'll need to much time to find necessary group.

2 - At the end of each month or semester I need to collect some statistics from the whole course – 15 groups or 45 subgroups – (like – best students in a course, worse students in a course, students with absences and number of absences for each student).
It will be great feature if program can collect for me this information automatically.
To open each class and calculate by hand is too long story...

P.S. I think these features can be very useful not only for me, but for many other teachers – users of your program.
If you have solutions to my ideas at present version of the program, please let me now.
Thank you for such nice program and for your development.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Doctor_VVV.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #553 by bert
HI Doctor_VVV , glad to have you back,
Here is my suggested way of handling all your info.
1-
First af all, I think you should define 15 classes, if you need to collect later on some statistics on it, the only feasible way to do it is by not breaking apart the subgroups, and, as you state, having 45 classes will be hard to manage.

Then, you assign each student to their subgroup , as shown in the image . This will be the new student window look but you can do that already with the current version. Next, to be able to add columns for each practical class' and their attendance on each subgroup and not mixing everything up, you should create a tab for each subgroup and a general tab for common columns (maybe nonpractical exams?), so it would look like this. To make things easier on your assessment, when you are with a subgroup, just add the filter and select the tab of that subgroup. You'll only have on screen the students of that subgroup and their info. 2 - As for the statistics, in this upcoming version (will be available by the end of this August) you will have this screen on each student which will make it easier to control the attendance. And to determine the best students in a course, you'll be able to sort by a column's result so that the best grades come first .
Hope that helps!
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by bert.

More
11 years 6 months ago #658 by Doctor_VVV
Hi Bert! Thank you very much for your support!
I have new question: my schedule is not for a week or two weeks program, it is for semester (I mean that every day different classes). Is it possible to make such schedule in iDoceo or it is limited with one week?
Integration with iCal is also necessary!

P.S. Waiting for the upgrade before tomorrow ;)

More
11 years 6 months ago #659 by bert
Hi Doctor_VVV,
Our current schedule is limited to a single week... I hope two by today ... with the update...
A whole semester will be a bit tricky to add and a lot of work for you to type in! Maybe taking an image of the schedule and adding of it would makes things easier?
We'll think about that !
iCal events can be integrated into the diary, I guess you mean some more complex integration?
Thanks

More
11 years 6 months ago #660 by Doctor_VVV
Replied by Doctor_VVV on topic Re: Groups and subgroups
You are quite right, Bert!
With aim to save time it's better to make image. I did this with special PDF program on my iPad and with color pen marked my classes.
Just one big minus for such solution – schedule is not integrated into iCal and every time, when I plan something I need to check both programs.

Don't know is it possible to make such changes from the programming side, but I want to give an idea. If it's not so hard to implement you can do. Here it is:

When you open your group – you have an option to insert dates and times for classes for the next semester or the whole year for current group.
When you open schedule all previously inserted data for each group classes are shown in your schedule (and integrated into iCal)
If you will add data about date and time for classes for each group separately you will not miss classes. It will be easy to check if your group have necessary quantity of classes or not. Because if you add data to the schedule directly you can miss some classes for some groups... And it's more hard to calculate the amount of classes for each group inside the schedule during a long period of time, like for semester or a year...

More
11 years 6 months ago #663 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Re: Groups and subgroups
Hi Doctor_VVV,
Thanks for the insight, we're preparing a planner with some advanced features for it, I'll keep your requirements in mind.
It is a bit difficult to meet everybody's needs on this, and we're asking for some samples on what each teacher expects for it! If it is possible and you don't mind , send me a sample at support@idoceo.net so that I can document it properly!

Thanks again