How to use German grades

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #8357 by Mr.k
How to use German grades was created by Mr.k
Hey,

I started using IDoceo with the start of this school year. I am really happy with all the functions and possibilities that it offers. But I still struggle with the German grade system of my state. I need grades from 1 to 6. 1 being the best and 6 the worst possible grade. In between I need quarter steps.
E.g. 1/1,25/1,5/1,75/2/2,25/2,5/2,75... These grades are then usually referred to with plus and minus grades, so a 1,25 is called a 1- and a 1,75 is a 2+. I do not necessarily need Idoceo to show the grades with pluses and minuses but it has to understand what those mean. (not sure if I am able to make myself clear, here :-) )

I am still not sure how to make this work.
For my calculation of a student's average grade (e.g. oral grades, short tests, and written tests) I then need exact decimals like 1,43 or 4,91.
Any suggestions or ideas? Or is there something I haven't seen so far..?
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Mr.k.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #8385 by Ruislip
Replied by Ruislip on topic How to use German grades
Hi Mr. K ,
I think I can help you , but I need some clarification.
If I count the grades by quarter of step I get 4x6 = 24 posible values 1 , 1.25 , 1.5 , 1.75 , 2 , 2,25 , 2.5 , 2.75 etc
But the grades are only 1 , -1 , +2 , 2 , -2 +3 , 3 , -3 .... etc only 16 values , what is the correlation between those 24 values and its 16 posible results?
Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr.k

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #8479 by Mr.k
Replied by Mr.k on topic How to use German grades
Hey,

sorry it took so long to answer. I thought I had it all figured out but now I am running into trouble calculating different grades to an average grade.

I try to clarify your questions first.
We have grades from 1 (best) to 6 (worst). In between we proceed in quarter steps. Additionally we refer to those quarter grades in + and - grades and in x.5 grades. (eg. 1.25 is also called 1- ; then we have 1.5 which is also called 1-2 ; then we have 1.75 which is also referred to 2+ ...)
So the plus and minus after a grade show that the student has a score that is either 0.25 better or worse than the number. Thus: 2+ --> 1.75 / 2- ---> 2.25

So if a students has written 2 class tests and 2 short tests and also received 2 oral grades, all these grades will be in this pattern. Then I calculate the average of all these areas and combine them to one grade which will then be rounded to an exact number at the end of a school year.

So I attached a screenshot of the problem I am having now. I can't figure it out. I have written two short tests and some averages are correct and others are somewhat wrong or ?rounded? On of the tests is a grade conversion from credits to grades and for the other test I typed in the grades directly. Before that I created a grade type based on a text based grade.

If you can make sense of all these things I have written now and could help me, that would be super awesome. Otherwise I feel like I need to move to "Teacher Tool" which I would like to avoid since I am really happy with all the other things Idoceo does.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Mr.k.

More
4 years 2 months ago #8480 by Ruislip
Hi ,

I think I made some sense about what you need, see below if this what you expect to obtain.
Let me know if it is and I will explain with detail how to achieve it.

Regards

Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #8483 by Mr.k
Hey,
thanks again. I attached another picture to try to make it clear this time.

I need exact average grades for the categories. So the average of all short tests that a student has written over the school year needs to be expressed in an exact average. The same applies to class tests and oral grades.

And also in the future I would like to only use grade conversions for class and short tests.

Thanks a lot for your help so far.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Mr.k.

More
4 years 2 months ago #8486 by Ruislip
Hi Mr. K

I hope this time I got it right , see my attached screen shot

Kind regards

Karla

Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago #8501 by Mr.k
Exactly. That’s what I need. How do I get that? Also we put the minus and plus signs after the grade but I guess that is hard to change...

Thanks.

More
4 years 2 months ago #8502 by Ruislip
Hi Mr. K ,

I'll prepare a class template and when you import it , the new grades will be configured as well.

The template I'll send to you will have the minus and plus signs after the grade as you suggest further more, instead 2.5 , 3.5 etc it will show 2-3 , 3-4 etc.

But first I'll send you the last version of iDoceo , a beta version. Same version I've been using just to make sure the template I'll send runs smoothly

Regards ,
Karla

More
4 years 2 months ago #8503 by Mr.k
Awesome. Thanks so much for your help. This is highly appreciated.

More
3 years 10 months ago #8736 by tomka
Replied by tomka on topic How to use German grades
Would it be possible to post the template here? I'd be interested in having a closer look.