Standards Widget

More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #31023 by Urche0n
Standards Widget was created by Urche0n
Hello,
I have discovered that i can get the standards widget to display outcomes and grades levels in a way that is *almost* how I would need for report cards, with some slight manipulation in excel after exporting.  However, I have noticed that when exporting the standards widget to excel, two things occur. 1) the standard names get truncated, so the complete name is not exported, and 2) the column headers get large integers inserted at the beginning of the standard name.

I am unsure if I can alter this, or if it is a bug.  I will try to describe my setup below.

I have set up a number of outcomes as either folders or assignments as follows - notice the folder title is quite long, but the app accepts this without issue:

For each of the outcomes I want to include as standards in the widget, I have chosen the "Use column's title as standard" check box:

When I go back to my standards widget, I am getting almost the correct output, except notice the long column name is already truncated in this view:

Finally, if I try to export this widget to excel, I get the following, which includes the two issues described above:

Does this extract behaviour look as you would expect, or could this be an issue in the software that could be corrected?  Is it possible to get the complete column names to come out in these excel exports?  I think this workflow could simplify my report card comment process significantly if I can get it work as expected.

Thank you!
-J.

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Urche0n.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #31043 by Urche0n
Replied by Urche0n on topic Standards Widget
Is anyone able to comment on whether these exported column headers can be adjusted to exclude the large numeric values at the beginning?

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #31044 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Standards Widget
Sorry Urche0n, I missed your post
If you send me a template of that particular configuration I'll prepare a fix for you.
From the gradebook view > Export > Share, make sure you select all tabs, no students and enable the option to include standards
and send it to support @ idoceo.net

Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by bert.

More
8 months 5 days ago #31091 by bert
Replied by bert on topic Standards Widget
Hi there, I've been looking into this and it seems there are no valid codes in the standards you are using.
If you have a chance send me a screenshot of a single one and I'll be able to provide more info

More
8 months 4 days ago #31094 by Urche0n
Replied by Urche0n on topic Standards Widget
Hi Bert,
That's correct.  There were no valid codes set up in the "standards" section of settings.  I have check marked the actual assignments in my grade book as "use as standard" and expect that those will show in the standards widget.  I have since discovered that the only way to show these assignments marked as standards in my widget it is to add an arbitrary standard to the settings-> standard section, set up the widget to use that "standard", then after my assignments are showing I can delete the standard and the widget keeps working.
I have made two videos illustrating what I consider two different bugs.
The first being that assignments set to use as standard won't show unless a standard exists in the settings->standards section, and the second being what happens when those assignment set to use as standard are exported to excel (or even when hovered over in the widget, the long integers that appear:

I've been emailing Karla about this as well, and here are the notes I included there:

Bug 1: 

Can't get the widget to show assignment level standards, unless a global standard is already created.
However, assignment level standards remain visible even after the global standard is then removed.
  • At 36 seconds into the video you can see me setting up assignments as standards
  • At 1:20 in the video you see me trying to add the standards widget, with no results showing.
  • At 1:45 I add a random global standard in settings, and suddenly my assignment-standards are showing in the widget.
  • I didn't show it in the video, but if you do the same and then go and remove the global standard, the assignment-standards remain showing properly in the widget on the summary tab.  
  • I think this should automatically show assignment-level standards without requiring the user to select a global standard first.  It seems like the widget is stuck wanting a global standard selected before it can show any assignment-level standards, but then afterwards, the global standard can be removed without issue.

Bug 2:  

Once you have actually got the standards widget showing in the summary tab, exporting that widget to Excel, produces the long integer prefixes my initial post was about.
  • At the start of the screen grab you can see when I hover over the standard names, the long integers are appearing in the pop up text.
  • At the end of the screen grab you can see the resulting excel file with long integers in the standard titles after exporting.

You should be able to reproduce this from any fresh grade book you create, I have been able to consistently reproduce it.
Thx,
-J.