Desk layouts, snapping to grid, distribute randomly

More
1 year 3 months ago #30735 by FLeupold
Hello

I have a few questions about the new "Classroom layout with desks".
  • It seems the different desk layouts come in different sizes. The desks in the group of three are smaller than the desks in the group of eight, for example. Is this intentional?
  • Is it possible to have the desks snap to grid? If not, I would like to suggest this feature.
  • Is it possible to randomly distribute the students on the desk locations?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #30738 by bert
Hi FLeupold,
 Yes the different size is intentional. If you'd need additional combinations, do let me know
 Noted the snap to grid request.
 Yes, students can be randomly distributed on desk, tap on Tools > Random group generator
and 'Group automatically'

The following user(s) said Thank You: FLeupold

More
1 year 3 months ago #30740 by FLeupold
Thanks for the tip!

As for desk arrangements, I need 9x1. But if we could get snap to grid, I can easily create that from three 3x1 groups.

Btw, copying the desk arrangement to seating plans is great!

More
1 year 3 months ago #30741 by bert
I'll send you a Beta version to try that snap to grid.
If you miss anything else, do let me know
Thanks for the feedback and merry christmas!

More
1 year 3 months ago #30743 by FLeupold
Wow, that was crazy fast!

I've installed the beta version checked out the snap to grid function. It's already nice as it makes aligning things much easier.

However (I apologize for being fastidious), I noticed that the grid is such that one cannot align adjacent groups of desks in a way that the gaps between groups are equally wide as gaps within a group, see image attached. If that could be reasonably easily fixed, the feature would be even better. ;-)

Attachments:

More
1 year 3 months ago #30744 by bert
I'm afraid that involves an overengineered solution!
The easier alternative is to add a x9 desks. Count on it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: FLeupold

More
1 year 3 months ago #30745 by FLeupold
Hello Bert

I noticed what I think probably is a bug: Using Group automatically with "desks layout style", sometimes multiple students are assigned the same desk such that students' become hidden behind other cards...

More
1 year 3 months ago #30746 by bert
I noticed. It will be fixed in our next Beta.
We did not have much feedback during the tests

More
1 year 3 months ago #30747 by FLeupold
I hope you do not mind my nitpicking and consider it constructive. I tested the 1x9 desks and found: The anchor point seems to be a bit off with this desk group. The borders do not fully align horizontally on the grid with other groups, and student cards are not centered on the desk, see image attached.

Can I maybe ask you to make the 1x9 group in the smaller version like the 1x3 group? I like the smaller size much better because the student cards fully cover the desks' borders.

Thanks and happy holidays!

PS. I would be happy to help with testing and giving feedback on new features and fixes, particularly in the grades and seating plan modules as I mostly use those. In order to make testing easier and more targeted, I would suggest to detail "What to Test" in TestFlight. At the moment that section only says: "Work in progress".
Attachments:

More
1 year 3 months ago #30748 by bert
Thanks for the feedback FLeupold. I'll add you the full Beta testers list
The What's new section is now empty because those versions are only made for you. The next official Beta will take some time.